Whatever type of listing you’re creating, there’s a tool that you can’t - and shouldn’t - avoid when taking photos: the tripod.
“As a real estate and commercial photographer, I always bring a tripod with me to each of the photo shoots I do.”
Juanjo Sobrino, professional photographer, shares his top six reasons why you should always use a tripod to take the best quality photos. Using a tripod:
- 1. Helps take straight photos.
- 2. Lets you take long exposure photos.
- 3. Combining the natural light of the scene with artificial light will allow us to have a very aesthetic result.
- 4. Lets you capture a much broader view of the scene.
- 5. Lets you photograph with your camera in timer mode.
- 6.The tripod is the essential tool to generate other types of innovative content from your smartphone or camera.
1. Helps take straight photos
The tripod will help you take straight photos, with improved lines that can be easily corrected in post production.
When buying a tripod, make sure it comes with an integrated bubble level. It seems like a simple detail, but not all tripods on the market, especially the lower-end ones, come with a built-in bubble level. I use Nodalview’s tripod with a bubble level to photograph many of my real estate projects.
Photograph of Nodalview tripod with integrated bubble level
2. Using a tripod lets you take long exposure photos
Using a tripod lets you take long exposure photos for:
- Photos in areas of the house where the light is not bright: like a corridor, staircase or basement.
- Night photos: a style that is starting to trend in real estate, especially on social media platforms like Instagram.
Photograph of Nodalview tripod
3. Combining the natural light of the scene with artificial light lets you get the best result
Even when there is natural light, I often take pictures in houses combining the natural light of the scene with artificial light.
When I put my camera on long exposure on a tripod, I get an effect that I find very aesthetic. It consists of getting a "star" or artificial light that creates a nice effect in the photograph. It enhances your photo thanks to the combination of your tripod and long exposure.
Photograph of the result obtained with Nodalview
4. The tripod lets you capture a much wider view of the scene
The tripod lets you have a much wider view of the scene by not needing to constantly compose photos through the camera's viewfinder.
Shooting with a tripod and a "direct viewfinder" camera mode, like the one I get on my smartphone, makes me focus more on the details. This means I get a better understanding of the architecture, aesthetics and lines of the scene and therefore of the photo I want to take.
Photo of the use of Nodalview material
5. The tripod lets you photograph with your camera in timer mode
The tripod lets you photograph with your camera in timer mode. This is important as it gives you time to set up and leave the scene at the desired moment.
This is very practical when photographing a 360° panorama, as well as when you’re avoiding being visible in the reflection of a mirror. Every property has mirrors, glasses and other types of reflective surfaces - the best, qualitative picture will be the one where your buyer doesn't see you in them.
Photo of the Nodalview solution
6. The tripod is the essential tool to generate other types of content
Taking photos of your listing is important but creating enhanced content like video, 360° panoramas or even virtual tours will bring your ads to the next level. This type of content can’t be produced hands-free and you'll always need a steady base.
Therefore, the tripod is essential to capture innovative and interactive content. You can also add a rotating motor to your tripod to take panoramas simply and easily.
Photo of the Nodalview rotor
In conclusion, as I said at the beginning of this article, "always take your tripod with you".
Do you have any other reasons for using a tripod I might have missed? Let us know so we can share with our community.